Computer Problem Scare!

This morning my Dell E510 (lol old) wouldn't boot up! Using brother's laptop, I google'd the diagnostic lights (2 and 4 were lit) on the computer's front to see what the problem was.

A simple RAM re-seat was required. However, this involves opening up the case. Whenever I have to do this, I get scared. What if I break something else while trying to fix this?

And, so, even after re-seating the RAM, it wouldn't boot up. This time it gave me -different- diagnostic lights (2 and 3 were lit). Ahhhh! This one was a hard-drive failure! So I started thinking, "Oh shit I haven't backed up all my important things in forever (like completed comics)."

This fix was to simply reconnect all the cords dealing with floppy and hard-drive. Heh, I don't even have a floppy drive.

It still wouldn't go. But then I saw that it wasn't 2 & 3, it was 1, 2, and 3. The first light's sticker is peeling up so I couldn't see that it was on.

This error is simply described as "Another failure has occured." How ... non-specific. But I googled up more info and read it may be a RAM failure. To test this, I should remove the RAM, and try 1 stick at a time to see if one was faulty.

I did, and magically, my computer worked perfectly with only 2 sticks. Then I put in the other two and it still worked.

I simply fail at re-seating RAM, apparently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-COM: Apocalypse - Game Editors

About

Baldur's Gate 003