Chzo Mythos

I'm not that big a fan of point & click adventure games. The only one I ever remember playing is... uh... EcoQuest when I was little. Yeah...

Anyway, my friend Soma told me about the Chzo Mythos series. I had never heard of it, but it's freeware, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Available here:
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/donate.htm

The creator is apparently internets-famous as the guy does the Zero Punctuation video reviews for escapist magazine.

Turns out to be a pretty interesting series. There are four games.

In "5 Days a Stranger" you play as gentleman thief Trilby.



He breaks into an abandoned mansion for the loot but then can't seem to leave.



Trapped with a few other people, he must discover the reason behind their imprisonment in order to escape.



The gameplay isn't perfect (walk to this room, then walk to that room, then walk back again etc.), but the story is interesting enough to keep you going. Plus I like a good mystery.

The difficulty is actually pretty easy for a point & click adventure. I was almost able to beat it without a guide. Almost ... (darn you mansion map hidden in the books!)

it hurts

In "7 Days a Skeptic" you're playing a psychologist on a spaceship hundreds of years after the first game.

Photobucket

The captain goes missing and all hell breaks loose pretty quickly.

Photobucket

I didn't really like this one. I guess I'm not a big fan of futuristic settings. Also it sort of reminded me of Live-a-Live's space stage and made me wish I was playing that instead.

Father, why...

The third, "Trilby's Notes", is more of a throwback to the first game. As you could guess from the name, the main character is Trilby again.



Obviously he survived the first game (sorry, spoiler), but, though he seemed nonchalant about what happened at the mansion, he was actually just keeping it all inside and the events that happened there are haunting him very much...

Photobucket

I'll leave it at that.

The name "Chzo" actually enters in this game. The main issue with this one is you actually have to type in commands like "open door" to get Trilby to do anything except walk. The other games were point & click and this one is text-based. This seems annoying but you actually get used to it very fast and I urge you to get through it even if it isn't your thing. This game is my favorite in the series because of how different it is to the others.

Chzo
love me

The last is "6 Days a Sacrifice" and you're an ordinary building inspector guy, investigating a religious building to make sure it's up to code, when you're pushed down an elevator shaft and uhh ... all hell breaks loose again?

Photobucket

Turns out the building was just a front for a cult. This game is supposed to link the other 3 together but it's kinda stretched. Maybe because I didn't really like 7 Days a Skeptic so I didn't want to revisit what happened there.

it hurts

But anyway, the games are relatively short. I could have beaten them all in a day. And they are quite engrossing, so check them out if they interest you in any way.

All pictures from Moby Games.

it hurts it hurts

There is also an screenshot LP of this that can serve as a guide when you get stuck. Check out the extras there, they are quite disturbing. Yes, you could read the LP instead of playing the game, but the games are short, so do both! The experience is more complete when you're the one in control. And DeceasedCrab did a video LP too.

it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-COM: Apocalypse - Game Editors

About

Baldur's Gate 003