Newest Pet

A while back Mabinogi released the mounted lion pets.





I didn't get one because, well, I already got Mr. Griffin. And Mr. Griffin can fly.

Then there was the Crystal Deer.




It runs as fast as the thoroughbred and it also flies. In both respects it's faster than the griffin.

But I already have a thoroughbred, so. Faster flying didn't seem to be all that worth it, besides, I was really uninterested in Mabinogi when it came out. Also, it's kind of, well, not an impressive look for a pet. It's based on Rudolph the Red-nosed reindeer, you know. Also I wasn't really into Mabinogi when it came out.

Then they added the flame horses.



The flame horse has auto-boost meaning it runs really fast, faster than the thoroughbred. That is, when the boost is on; otherwise it is as fast as the thoroughbred (which is still fast!). The boost takes up stamina but that's not really a big deal as far as I know.

I didn't get it because I already have a thoroughbred. And a unicorn. And the griffin. I felt that I have enough ride-able pets.

But omg look how blue it is why didn't i get it whyyyyy

A long time ago there was a thread on mabinogiworld about possible future pets (i.e. make up whatever you want as a pet). When someone said "dragons" some people were all "nooo that would ruin the game" because it's simply too fantastic. All pets beforehand had been realistic: horses, dogs, cats, birds, etc.

But actually I was imagining a silly baby dragon pet following you around and maybe doing a useless Flame Burst skill. A small thing that walks on its hind legs like... uh... Spike from My Little Pony.



Yeah.

But, well, Nexon actually made dragon pets.

Here are the colors for the Fire Dragon.


Look at it. Its face is so dumb and yet so endearing!  As soon as I saw it, I had to have it.



This is Arrel, the Fire Dragon. He is named after a wizard's familiar in a story that I'm planning to write for National Novel Writing Month. When I saw this dragon I immediately thought, "That's what Arrel would look like if he was a dragon."



The Fire Dragon is the weaker dragon. It has a firebreath skill that looks like the Fireball spell. When summoned, flames erupt and knock down nearby enemies.

Here are the colors for the Thunder Dragon.


The more powerful Thunder Dragon has higher stats in general and a thunder breath attack. When summoned it stuns enemies nearby for a brief time.

This one looks mean, so he is Dariss, the wizard that owns Arrel.





Are these pets broken? Yes. Are 'pro' / rich people buying a lot of them just for those skills that activate upon summoning? Yes. But you know what? Screw the haters! I love my dragons and they bring me joy.

I find the best way to make the pet execute the breath skills is to ride on the pet and then select the skill. That way you can position the pet and its dumb AI won't make it cancel the skill.

Other than that, they are great for emergency situations. Did your counter skill fail to get off in time, and so an enemy is in the process of beating you silly? Summon a dragon and stun it to stop the combo.  Actually, the flame horse and crystal deer have similar summon skills that can do that, too.

So yeah, I got both dragons. I figured that these would be the last pets I get --  I've filled all my pet-summoning hotkeys so having more pets would be kind of inconvenient.  My concern is Nexon kind of screwed itself over because the dragon really is the pet to end all pets.  Unless you count storage mules.  I guess that's why they were limited-time pets.

That is ... until they make a pegasus, right?

I also got the dragons for my buddy Vincent because he only has a black unicorn. Also a black dragon is apparently important to him for one of his own stories.

I forgot to get a picture of his dragons though!

We raced the dragons and it seems the Thunder Dragon is a littler faster on land and in the air.  The Thunder Dragon is the fastest flying pet now, by the way.

Comments

  1. Still always time to take pictures! Heh.


    You should probably mention how broken the Cute pet acts are though. I love the dragon pet acts (although I don't think it's fitting for the thunder dragon, but is for the fire dragon).

    You also forgot to mention how brokenly large the Thunder dragon's inventory is compared to that of the Fire Dragon's... Nearly twice the size!

    Thunder Breath and Fire Breath have the exact same strength; however, Thunder breath hits nearly instantly, while Fire breath has a much slower missile speed, for those who are curious about the two. I believe the area of effect it leaves are the same as well.




    I honestly cannot imagine a mount any better then these dragons. Not without breaking the game even more with them. You pretty much got everything you need with just both dragons. The ONLY down effect they have is that you can't mount two people on one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also forgot to mention that the dragons need to get to level 60 to max out the breath skill.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

X-COM: Apocalypse - Game Editors

About

Baldur's Gate 003